UA Science: Sky School is seeking students who are excited to learn more about science and enjoy being in the outdoors. We are recruiting students in grades 8-12 to develop and execute field-based research projects for the regional science fair, run by the Southern Arizona Research, Science, and Engineering Foundation (SARSEF). Each student will be paired with a University of Arizona (UA) undergraduate student mentor and a UA graduate student science advisor to conduct an original field study, culminating in a final presentation at SARSEF. This is a valuable opportunity to gain experience in the scientific inquiry process, utilizing the unique environment of Sabino Canyon.
Students will benefit by:
- Learning how to develop and implement your own field-based scientific research project
- Having access to equipment, transportation, and other resources to do authentic scientific research
- Utilizing skills from a variety of science and engineering disciplines
- Relating learning to the larger framework of science research and how it applies to your own life
- Gaining confidence and skills in science and engineering to pursue higher education and STEM careers
- Developing and maintain working relationships with UA scientists
- Developing a better ‘sense of place’, the natural and cultural history, of the Tucson region
|October, 2016||· Mandatory!—Explore field sites October 1st & October 8th or 9th *
· Meet with mentor after school to write up project proposal
|October-December, 2016||· Field visits to collect data*. These will be on weekends and you must attend a minimum of 4 days, 8:30 am – 3 pm.
(October 22, 23, 29, 30; November 5, 6, 19, 20; December 3, 4)
|January-March, 2017||· Meet with mentor on weekends or after school to do data analysis and create your presentation for SARSEF (schedule TBD)|
|March-April, 2017||· Research presented at SARSEF (March 29-April 1)
· Poster displayed at UA and/or Sabino Canyon Visitor Center
*Transportation provided from the University of Arizona
Complete the student application, including:
- Student application (plus attached sheet for written answers)
- Parent form (plus attached sheet for written answers)
- Teacher advisor form & Teacher recommendation
Applications are due Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Mail to or drop off at: UA Science: Sky School, c/o Rebecca Lipson, 933 N. Cherry Ave., Tucson, AZ 85721 Or scan it and send to the address below.
Questions? Contact Rebecca Lipson at email@example.com or (520) 904-6208.